Almond milk is quick and easy to make at home and so nutritious! It's made by finely grinding almonds in a blender with water and straining sediment/pulp, if desired.
3 cups water
1 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight)
Honey or dates to taste (optional to sweeten)
2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (optional for chocolate almond milk)
1/2 vanilla bean (optional for vanilla almond milk)
Place all ingredients in a blender. Turn blender on and slowly increase speed.
Blend for about 45 seconds or until desired consistency.
Store in refrigerator. Shake well before using.
Option: Strain milk to remove sediment/pulp. Use a mesh sieve or filtration bag and pour over a large bowl. Straining will reduce fiber content of the milk.
5 Reasons Why I like this drink!
1. Strong bones - Almond milk offers 30 percent of the recommended daily amount calcium and 25 percent of the recommended amount of vitamin D. Calcium and vitamin D work together to provide healthy bones.
2. Muscle Building & Recovery - Almond milk contains plenty of B vitamins such as iron & riboflavin, both important for muscle growth & healing.
3. Heart Health - There is no cholesterol or saturated fats in almond milk. It's low in sodium and high in healthy fats like omega fatty acids. Almond milk is known to help lower blood pressure & heart disease.
4. Blood Sugar - Almond milk (with no additives) is low in carbs, which means it won’t significantly increase your blood sugar levels. The body will use the carbs as energy so the sugars aren’t stored as fat.
5. Digestion - Almond milk with pulp contains about one gram of fiber per serving, fiber is important for healthy digestion.